Tuesday, August 30, 2011

our homeschool has a principal.




Yesterday, Lily and I started homeschooling.  Just for an hour in the afternoon, but enough to be hilarious.

Lily, oh man.

We start with a prayer and devotional, but she wants to pray, and does, for everyone we know, for the butterflies, for the "bugs I squished and they're DEAD", for "bathtime, bedtime, watch a little movie, eat popcorn", for everything.

We begin, and we begin by looking at some pictures of different kinds of animals and talking about what they are doing, what colors we see, what they are called, what their babies are called, etc.

"NO, no, Mommy," she tells me quickly.  "Not like that.  Here, you sit down here, and I will sit there in your chair and I will tell you."

I finally convince her that I will be teaching, and we start again, only to have interrupt again and say, "Mommy, I want to LERRRRRN.  Learn.  OK?"

"OK, Lily.  Let's talk about our ABC's."

"No, no, Mommy.  I want to LERRRRRN about Jesus, OK?"

"OK.  Let's learn about Jesus AND the letter A."

"HMMM.  ok.  I'm going to pray again.  Sit down."


I was trying so hard to both be in control and not to laugh the whole time.

I was the teacher.  Lily was the principal.  Poor Sofia was the only student.  We'll see how today goes...


Meanwhile, Lily is LOVING praying lately.  She wants to pray before all meals and bed, and kept Micheline, Gertha and I waiting over our rice for at least five different prayers this afternoon.  She always prays for Mommy and Poppy and Sofia and Lucner (for whatever reason...she never sees him!), and then adds in anyone else she is thinking of at the time, then tells God about her day, about her favorite book, thanks Him for food in general, and when she is finished, adds an adamant AMEN, frequently followed a moment later by, "No wait, I'm not finished," and she'll start all over again.

I love it.  I love hearing Lily talk to God almost as much as God does, I think.


3 comments:

Matthew said...

Rebekah (our 3 year old) also LOVES to pray. It's such a beautiful thing, watching prayers come from them, isn't it?

One of the funniest things to me is that when she gets seconds at a meal, she thinks she has to pray a second time before she starts eating again. You can be sure I'm not going to tell her otherwise, because it always makes me laugh and thank the Lord for her at the same time!

Amber said...

Ha ha ha how wonderful!! I love it! During the day when Im caring for Haley....at meal times she says her prayers for the meal and it goes something like this...Dear food thank you for Jesus, and mommies and daddies, milk, and Simone (the cat), and for the whoo whoo sirens who help hurt people. Ha ha ha its so funny and cute and beautiful all at the same time :) Not quite sure where the dear food part came into play, but Jesus knows her heart :)

Lisa said...

i love how grumpy sofie looks - like she is already tired of getting her picture taken :)