Thursday, April 19, 2012

time out!

When I found Sofie like this at bedtime last night, I had to laugh, because I felt the same way.
These last few days have just been crazy!  Mothering is no glamourous profession.  There is a sparkle pony in my crock pot.  And a slew of "sleeping" bugs locked in my tupperwear container.  And Gak mushed into the couch cushion.  And little toys EVERYWHERE (but especially wherever I step!) And cracker crumbs in MY bed.  Lily had to be spanked once and in time-out 5 times.  And all this was just yesterday!
Having kid-friends living next door has been such a joy!  The girls love them, there are endless things to do together, Lily has constant playmates, they are REALLY good kids...etc.

However, going from being a bit of an "only child" to being one of five has been bringing out the worst in Lil.  My pleasant toddler is suddenly whining and fussing and crying what feels like CONSTANTLY.  Her "cute" bossiness with Mommy and Daddy has reared it's ugly head with ordering the other kids, and her care-givers, around.  (She told me tearfully yesterday that Noel simple refused to obey her.  oh my)  Her "spiritedness" is coming out in blatant disobedience.  Her normal compliant self is giving me the response, "No, I don't want to" to literally EVERYTHING I am asking.

Having all of these new opportunities to obey or disobey, respond well or respond poorly, share or not share, think of herself or think of others...is GOOD.  I'm so thankful that she's having the chance to make more of these choices because these offer more opportunities for us to disciple her in Jesus.  

However, having more chances to do what is right is also giving her more chances to NOT do what is right...and it is exhausting to stay consistent, address these issues EVERY time, stop what I'm doing and take advantage of each of these opportunities as teaching opportunities, and just trying to keep patient and loving in the discipline.  

Lily's driving me to the Word, and our best parenting books (Hints on Child Training by H. Clay Trumbull, Discipleship in the Home by Matt Friedeman, Parenting: From Surviving to Thriving by Charles Swindoll), all the more, which is a good thing, too.  

All that to say, be praying for us, will you?  This "first ministry" that He's called us to of having a High-Righteous (Discipline, Justice, Standards, Punishment, Uprightness, Toughness) AND High-Love (Intimacy, Affection, Grace, Kindness, Mercy, Tenderness) family is no easy ministry!  It's a full-time job!

These precious girls are His...and we want to give Him our best!


4 comments:

Amber said...

Oh Man! Those days are hard!!! When I'm watching the kids here, days like that call for my never ceasing, endless prayer of, "God give me Patience now please!" or "God, I need help and wisdom now please!"

I sooo admire how much you want to do God's will in raising them...makes my heart so happy :)

P.S.
Just to give you a laugh...today Haley was smacking Jake with a music stick over the head, while Jake was pouring bubbles all over the hardwood floor, when I walked in the room to check on them, while I was making lunch. Needless to say they were quite slippery kiddos (and one was a crying, slippery kid).

Praying for you and Matt both :)

Lori said...

Stacey -

Hang tough, be consistent, love them lots and know that I am praying right along side you.!!

Maria said...

Love the pic of Sofia! :)

Unknown said...

Hang in there! We are dealing with the same defiance attitude around here. Age 3 is rough!